During ski season, while climbing up the hill I was reminded of a brilliant thought a candidate shared with me that is worth passing along.
This client and I had worked together for some time and through our engagement, he determined he was ready to take the next step and purchase a franchise. I asked, “What gave you the confidence to take the step into business ownership through franchising?”
His response was absolutely inspiring. He told me that in franchising, “the road to success is paved.”
The Franchise Road to Success
I repeated this phrase over and over again, because it felt so meaningful—and so representative of the experience of franchise ownership.
“The road to success is paved.”
Of course, if we think about the road less traveled compared to a paved parkway, one path seems immediately easier to get where you want to go. But even more specifically in the franchise world (and this is the crux of what this candidate meant), franchising comes with a “paved road:”
Here are just a few of the benefits of purchasing a franchise that make this path so much more navigable:
- The success of other franchise owners was clear to see through validation calls making the pathway to success that much more clear
- The franchisor provided a thorough roadmap for franchise ownership which smooths out the bumps experienced in other forms of business ownership
- The strengths of the leadership team were immediately apparent providing the confidence needed to know you have a great co-pilot
- The brand had power and influence in the marketplace providing instant awareness and recognition by customers
- The franchise offered collective purchasing power for things like marketing and products used in the business reducing the uncertainty and expense of expanding your reach
- The franchise came with established vendor relationships that the candidate didn’t need to create himself paving the way for quick successes
For me, this kind of support and existing infrastructure makes all the difference.
When It Comes to Business Ownership, Take the Road That’s Paved
I’m a Colorado guy through and through. I love to explore. I want to go hiking and get into the backcountry. I find joy in taking dirt roads and exploring the wilderness this great state has to offer. I like to do these things in my free time when I’m not working. But not in business.
When it comes to my business ventures, I want the road to success to be paved. What’s more, I want to know that my endeavor has a time-tested pathway to success. I want my efforts to grow my business to be predictable and proven.
Why am I so passionate about franchising? I want to eliminate the trial and error that comes with growing a business because, frankly, it takes a lot of time and money to learn from one’s mistakes. And a road that’s been paved—like owning a franchise—means that the process has been honed and refined for you. There aren’t the same unpleasant surprises or periods of trial and error that come with starting a business from scratch.
Plus, I want to create as much time as possible to be in the backcountry doing the things that I love to do.
If the road to business success is already paved, then you have a far higher likelihood to get to where you want to go in a shorter time. This is why my candidate’s statement was so insightful.
Do you know where you want to go with your career? Do you feel your life is cruising along the congested highway or on a bumpy dirt road? If business ownership is something you have been thinking about but haven’t taken any real steps toward making it happen, I’d love to speak with you. Reach out today, and let’s find out how I can help you take the path that’s paved.